WHERE SPORTS FAILURE IS NOTHING NEW

Quote of the Week


"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
-Yogi Berra

Feb 23, 2010

Quick Musings about Everything Sport

It's been a long time since either of us has posted but the life of a college kid isn't all what it is cracked out to be and we have both been quite busy. I do have a test at 12:30 but there is nothing like putting off studying with a quick post, right?

First, I have been completely engrossed in the Winter Olympics over the course of the past week and a half. I have watched everything from men's hockey to the biathlon to figure skating. I am a nut for sports and I can only hope they have the Olympics in heaven.

The USA men's hockey team posted a great upset the other night of Canada and it was one of the best hockey games I have ever watched. Easily, it was the best game I have ever watched on tv. I wasn't alive when the "Miracle on Ice" took place (I do own the movie, however) but this isn't close to as big of an upset as that was.

Bode Miller is NOT back. He has never been at this level before so how can people say he is actually back. I am enjoying watching his successes but when he does it again at the next Winter Olympics after a drought at the World Cup, or some similar large event, then HE WILL BE BACK.

The USA women's hockey team is maybe more impressive than the men's. After defeating Sweden 9-1 yesterday afternoon they are now set to play in the Gold Medal game Thursday afternoon, having outscored their opponents 40-2. I don't think I speak for myself when I say that beating Canada for the Gold Medal would go a long way in our country's pride, and it would diminish Canada's to less than nothing. If Canada lost to the United States TWICE in hockey in a three day period, a sport which they claim to have invented, how could they possibly look people in the eye. If you admired Ovechkin's goal he made last year passing it off the boards to himself that made highlights around the world, here is one that gives him a run for his money.

Having lost three games in a row, do the Cleveland Cavaliers have a must win game tonight against New Orleans? I wouldn't say so...but Shaq, The Diesel, The Big Aristotle, The Big Daddy, etc., has hardly played like Superman lately and a flashback to his prime could help get the team and Prince James back on track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Cavs, or Shaq, or the Prince for that matter, but I do enjoy watching some good basketball and having them play well will help my chances to see a good game.

I can't help but have one North Carolina bash on here especially when it is something this good. I don't remember who posted it but there was a facebook status awhile back saying this, "The women's national championship game has now been set, UCONN women vs. North Carolina men." We all know Carolina actually isn't that bad but this year they have brought it on themselves.

Hey, the Gophers are bringing a winning streak to the Barn this Wednesday night against 4th rated Purdue. A win and a good showing in the Big Ten tourney, and they could be legitimately on the bubble for the NCAA tourney.

Check out this 4 second pin. I don't know if I've seen more of a dominant performance. The best thing is, the kid called it. Here's the article on that.

Hope you all have a good rest of the week and keep tuned into the Olympics. It is a rare event that we all should embrace.

1 comment: