WHERE SPORTS FAILURE IS NOTHING NEW

Quote of the Week


"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
-Yogi Berra

Feb 9, 2010

Rivalry Week

Hello all. Throughout each college basketball season there are many games played that will not be forgotten for a long time. Last year's instant classic, six overtime thriller between Syracuse and UCONN was one great example. Without thinking too far into it I think it's the best basketball game I have ever watched. The schedule makers try to plan those games out, hence the games highlighted by ESPN's coverage of Rivalry Week.

This years games provide some marquee match-ups and last night Big Monday provided two intense and emotional games. Being the biggest Kansas Jayhawks fan in the state of Minnesota (besides Cole Aldrich's family perhaps) I was ecstatic when Texas started shooting worse than 3rd grade girls, most of whom can't get the ball up to the rim. After a 22-0 run on Kansas' behalf I couldn't help but be amazed not by the Jayhawks offense, but by their defensive dominance and perfection. The only other place to see that kind of swarming defense is in the Big 10 and many people argue that their defense is more of a lack of offense than anything else...

...The lack of offense topic brings me to what is usually the centerfold game of Rivalry Week. There is literally nothing like a basketball game between North Carolina and Duke. Usually, a match-up between two of the premiere teams in the country, this rivalry is bigger than any Yankees/Red Sox series or a Vikings/Packers game. This year is slightly different. Instead of being a top team this season, North Carolina seems to have taken a step back and is simply a premiere program and not a team. If you haven't followed close enough here is a quick recap of their last game.

As I continue to post more you all will come to realize my hatred for North Carolina basketball in general. I can't explain the source of this hate but I have to venture a guess to a combination of the following: 1) Roy Williams leaving Kansas for UNC and Kansas replacing him with a guy I hardly LOVE. 2) My brother Matt's (one year and 18 days younger than me) favorite team is UNC. 3) Derek's favorite team is UNC.

When it comes time for the game to start I will be wearing my one Duke t-shirt. There is only two (sometimes three) days a year that I know what I will be wearing way ahead of time. My world won't come to an end if UNC pulls out the unlikely victory tomorrow night because I have been alive long enough to see them win a ton of games. However, if they do lose (and the way they've been playing, the Gophers could play close to them right now) needless to say I will be completely content for one night this week.

At one point last night the Kansas defense had 10 blocks and 12 steals. To give credit where some credit is due, Texas did make a run over the course of the 2nd half to cut the lead down to six points but by that point in the game it was just a formality to keep playing. I do believe Texas has a good team and that they will be a sweet sixteen team when the tourney rolls around, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Kansas is a legitimate contender especially after a performance like that last night. Don't forget to check out ALL of the games during Rivalry Week on ESPN and throughout the rest of the season on all sorts of different networks. Here is ESPN's interactive schedule for this week so you don't miss a classic like last year. I am a company man. (Podcast shout out).

No comments:

Post a Comment